Well here I go. My first entry onto the world of Blogs. I have been prompted to do this as part of a qualification I am undertaking with the Open University. (Postgraduate Certificate in Online and Distance Education).
To be honest I have never been too keen on the idea of a blog. I do not really want people to know my inner thoughts and do not want to know theirs either. It seems a bit like reading someones diary. I prefer the mystery of getting to know someone's personality in person with all the body language and nuances that this entails.
The first dilemma I have is if I should keep this blog anonymous. The advantage of anonymity is that no-one could relate the online persona with my real-life persona. Therefore I could really create an online diary with my inner thoughts safe in the knowledge that if anyone does read this diary it would not matter since it could never be traced to the real-life me! (thats assuming that anyone would read this).
This would be useful as it would keep a record of my musings and thoughts as I went through this education process. One aspect I have been looking at as part of my studies is the concept of learning. One of the ideas of learning that is mentioned is that learning means person will undergo some form of 'change' (not just in the knowledge but some personal change). Well what better way to review this process by experimenting on myself by creating an online diary. I would then be able to review my thoughts at the end of the course and see if change has occurred.
However, the freedom that anonymity creates also is risky. I do not want all of my subconscious to be displayed. What if it was criticized- would I be able to take the criticism? Having a blog which is personalised with my real-life identity would mean there is some restraint in the content and I would only let the viewer know what I would choose to reveal in a real-world setting. It would probably stop me rambling.
This all feels like I am stepping into a world of Philip K Dick!
I think one way I will use this is as a repository for note-taking for the course. (I am also using Zotero) I might also include some fund stuff and experiments with adding videos and such...and some thoughts on the philosophy books I am reading.
------------------
01.06.11
Well its about 6 weeks into my blog and I love ity. The idea of a storage space in the sky is so convenient for me. No longer do I have to route around to find my notes, its all here. And if I go on holiday I can access everything. I only wish I experimented with this before! Onwards and upwards.
No comments:
Post a Comment