Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Week 12. Activity 3 Reading Price Et al.

Good website (nothing to do with course: http://www.geekologie.com/). 

article  by Price et al. (2007),  Which showed that students who studied an online version of the had worse experiences than those who studied a face-to-face version.

Make some notes in your blog on whether the evidence regarding online tuition in Price et al.’s paper fits your own experience of online communication in general and your own experience of online tuition on H800.

Time will tell if the results for my course are an improvement on my more face-to-face courses. I do feel that the there is much difference in the tutor support between either version (but I have never really engaged as much in tutor conversions in either version either. Both versions take a bit of time getting used too.

1. Do you agree with Price et al. that online tuition is a pastoral activity and not a purely academic activity?

Yes I do believe so. It is important for a student to be relaxed and to feel confident to contribute to a discussion. In H800 there is a lot of participatory elements so this is crucial for the 'group' effort. If is also important for the individual student as otherwise they would feel alone. I know it sounds bad, but if you feel that other students are struggling then it gives oneself the impression that 'you are not alone'.

2.Do you agree that the absence of what the authors call ‘paralinguistic cues’ (intonation, emphasis etc) in an online environment can limit the effectiveness of online tuition?

Yes I do. Almost as a side effect these paralinguistic clues lead to a personality being perceived. I get inspired by some charismatic teachers (and students), a part of this inspiration comes from them being a good public speaker. This lack in inspiration is a massive problem for online learning,

No comments:

Post a Comment